Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

For Valentine's weekend, we started off with Grandma having a slumber party with the grandkids. Which meant Duane and I, and Travis and Hollie, could go on a double date. We decided to check out the Alamo Drafthouse's new location at the old Ritz nightclub on 6th Street. The old club was a place you definitely would NOT want to see with the lights up, but they totally redid the place and it looks great. What we love about the Alamo is that they serve real food there, so you really can do dinner and a movie. (I also love that they have "baby days" when you can bring your baby and nobody cares if he fusses a little or if you need to nurse - pretty cool for stay-at-home-moms who don't get to see too many movies.) Anyway, on Friday we saw a movie called "Fanboys". It's about these 4 friends (massive Star Wars fans) who decide to trek across the country, break in to George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch, find a rough-cut of the not-yet-released Episode I, and watch it. It was hi-lar-i-ous. After the movie, we walked around downtown, stopped at a coffee shop, and talked and reminisced about being a kid and watching Star Wars. It was very fun.

Saturday night I made my Valentine's traditional pasta bolognese. For those of you who don't know: I made that same dish the first Valentine's that Duane and I were together. I invited a bunch of single friends over for dinner and Duane ended up being the only guy who showed. He hung with the girls for a good time, but when I placed a plate loaded with pasta in front of him, he decided he needed to marry me (or at least ask me on a real date). The rest is history. I enjoy making my secret "love-potion pasta" every Valentine's as a reminder of that night. Dax even liked it!

Sunday morning we went out for a family breakfast at a local Tex-Mex place. We were stuffed! Dax had a great time and we learned that bar coasters make good toys (good enough of a distraction for the parents to finish eating, anyway). Check out the video below to hear Dax practicing his colors while we waited for our food.

We hope you had a lovely Valentine's day remembering all the people who love you.

At the coffee shop downtown - a beautiful night to sit outside and talk with friends


The love-birds - together for 5 years


Guess which color is Dax's favorite (the tongue cracks me up!)

No comments: