Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Making an "Impact" at Central Market

Today we met Avery and her mommy at the playground by Central Market. We had a great time playing on the playscape. The kiddos even got balloons from the store and got them stuck in the same tree. Good times. Luckily, no tears on that one. However, we had plenty of tears a bit later, inside the store. I went in to buy some lunch; Dax followed me to the deli case and then started to follow me up to the register. I was about 10 yards away when I noticed that he'd gotten distracted, stopped, and had picked up a glass bottle of soda. Before I could open my mouth, I watched the bottle slide from his hands onto the floor. It made a "thunk" sound, but only cracked. Then a second later, after the carbonation got to be too much, the whole bottle, literally, exploded. Glass went flying everywhere, a couple people screamed, I booked it over to him, and he just stood there in shock, not knowing if he was hurt or scared or in trouble. I didn't see any cuts near his face, so I thought we were going to be OK, but then Dax looked at me with a bit of panic in his eyes and I noticed the blood on his hands. I scooped him up and ran to the bathroom, which was thankfully very close. After a close inspection, it was just one cut on his left thumb. But it bled A LOT. After 10 minutes, if I let off the pressure, it would still bleed full-force. So, we called the pediatrician (she's on speed dial). She said keep up the pressure for 10 more minutes to see if it improved. And, sure enough, it did. We were able to stop the bleeding, put on a band-aid, and go eat. We were so happy to have Avery and her mommy there to help us thru it all! Another day in the life of a toddler.

Eating lunch with Avery, just 30 minutes after cutting his thumb

No comments: